The Uniqueness of Antique Style Engagement Rings
Antiques have recently attracted a lot of attention from the mainstream. Because of popular television shows like Antiques Roadshow, more people are becoming interested in antiques. At one time, it was mostly dealers and a few enthusiasts who cared about antiques. Now that antiques are more popular, all types of people are getting in on the fun. This includes engaged couples interested in antique
style engagement rings.
More couples realize an engagement ring doesn抰 need to be modern in order to look beautiful。 Antiques are beautiful as well, and often contain more intricate designs。 There抯 nothing quite like the graceful beauty displayed by true antique style engagement rings。
How to spot true antique style engagement rings
If you抮e in the market for an antique style engagement ring, you should be concerned
with its age. Antique engagement rings are those that are 50-years old and older.
If you抮e not careful, you could end up with a vintage ring or an estate ring.
While these rings are often gorgeous, they抮e not true antiques. Some vintage
rings and estate rings are actually relatively new but are designed to look old.
You also need to be able to identify and determine the value of the diamond in
Antique style engagement rings should be appraised by professional jewelers. That抯 the best way to tell if you have the genuine article. Here are a few pointers to remember:
- Antique style engagement rings don抰 always contain diamonds. It抯 common to see emeralds, opals, and pearls used as gemstones in antique rings. These gems were very popular during the Victorian period, which is one reason they抮e common in antique engagement rings.
- Some antique style engagement rings are very fragile. When considering a purchase, examine the ring for damages such as cracks or chips.
- The ring shouldn抰 be cracked or chipped, but there may be slight imperfections since ring making techniques weren抰 as advanced as they are now.
- Many antique style engagement rings contain diamonds that are slightly colored. Colored diamonds were popular at one time, and that trend is reflected in the rings. So you may come across quite a few antique rings with diamonds that are slightly brown, yellow, red, or some other color.
Antique style engagement rings are unique
There抯 nothing wrong with being original. Just because you抮e getting married
doesn抰 mean you have to go with a traditional engagement ring. If you want to
set yourself apart from most couples, antique style engagement rings can help
you do that. They say something about your personality that a traditional ring
can抰. People will know that your style is different from most people out there.
Here are some of the common engagement ring styles found on Novori.com:
Where to buy antique style engagement rings
You won抰 find glossy ads for antique style engagement rings in your local paper or on television. Most traditional jewelry retailers generally don抰 deal with antiques. They抮e mostly concerned with mass marketed pieces that can be easily ordered. Some create rings you design yourself, but those aren抰 antique rings either. One thing for sure, it抯 unlikely that you抣l find an antique in just any jewelry store.
Antique style engagement rings can be found at antique stores, yard sales, flea markets, pawn shops, and online。 Let抯 take a look at these options, and see the pros and cons of each one:
- Antique stores ?this is the most reliable source of antique style engagement
rings. Antique stores specialize in antiques, and should be knowledgeable about
any of their pieces. You should be able to find out the history of the piece,
its value, what it抯
made from, and when it was created. The worse thing about buying from an antique
store is that you抣l pay a lot. They know the value of the piece, so you抮e less
likely to find a deal.
- Yard sales and flea markets ?you never know what you抣l find at these types
of places. There have been many instances of wonderful antique pieces going
for little or nothing at yard sales. If you live in an area that has frequent
yard sales, you may get lucky. However, you should at least know enough about
antiques to know if the ring is really an antique and the value of the diamond.
Antique dealers regularly appear at large flea markets. Many people think of flea markets as places to find cheap stuff, but that抯 not the case. There are always high ticket items available at flea markets, and this includes antiques.
- Pawn shops ?you抎 be surprised at the great finds in pawn shops. Some pawn shops even specialize in jewelry. However, this is another buyer beware situation. Try to learn a bit about antique engagement rings before considering one from a pawn shop.
- Online ?There are plenty of online retailers who sell antique engagement rings.
You should thoroughly research any online retailer you plan to do business
with. Novori is registered with the BBB and has a 30 day money back guarantee.
Designing modern rings that look like antiques
If you and your partner really want antique style engagement rings,
but can抰 find
any to your liking, you have one other option. You can design the rings yourself
with an antique ring style. These are very popular because you know exactly what
you are getting in your diamond ring. Novori Jewelry will
work with you to design your own custom rings, but this option usually is more
expensive than others. There抯
nothing keeping you from designing a ring that looks like an antique. If you view
a few photos of antique style engagement rings, then you抣l be able to create
No matter how you obtain your antique style engagement
rings, examine it closely.
If it抯 a genuine antique, the seller should be able to tell you all about the
piece. Some things to know are its age, condition, size, clarity, and cut of the
ring. It抯 also a good idea to get this information in writing in case you want
to insure the ring. In any case Novori is here to help you select the perfect
ring. You can contact us toll free at 1-877-877-4141 anytime. We would be glad
to help you.
Related Diamond Engagement Ring Articles